The short answer to that question is, Yes.
Depending on your insurance, physical therapy is a covered service. However, it all depends on what insurance you have. Commercial or employer-based health plans will cover physical therapy but usually involve a copay or deductible.
For Medicare, physical therapy is covered at 80%, with the remaining 20% paid by secondary insurance or the patient. As for referrals, North Carolina has direct access which allows patients to see a physical therapist without a referral. However, for some commercial and employer-based insurances, a referral from a doctor is not required. Medicare requires a referral for physical therapy. The best way to find out about physical therapy benefits is to contact your insurance or call our office at 910.769.1238.